I like rice in different flavors – fried rice, tomato rice, lemon rice, curd rice, but this one is my favourite. It is one of the famous foods of Mumbai. As a kid I often used to travel to Mumbai and my favourite place to visit was Chowpatty, specifically to eat Tawa Pulao which I love till today. I never used to miss eating Tawa Pulao on my visit to Mumbai. It is such a simple yet yummy and tasty dish, I can’t miss eating it whenever I am in Mumbai. It is the recipe which is made almost similar to Pao Bhaji, one of the most famous street food of Mumbai. Pao Bhaji is made on the tawa or griddle and so does Tawa Pulao. Similar vegetables are used and even the masala is same for Tawa Pulao. So, after trying pao bhaji lot many times, I thought to make tawa pulao and guess what it came out so well and just similar to the one which I used to have in Mumbai. I was so happy and excited about it and thought to share the recipe with you all.
Here the details of the recipe:
- Preparation Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2
- Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 onions (cut lengthwise)
- 1 ½ tbsp. ginger garlic paste
- 4 tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- Coriander leaves (chopped)
- 2 ½ tbsp. pao bhaji masala
- Salt to taste
- 2 green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 cup boiled green peas
- 2 boiled potatoes (diced)
- 3 cups boiled rice
- Melt butter in a heated griddle (tawa) and add the onions.
- Let the onions fry till its translucent and not brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste
- Add capsicum to it and saute them a bit
- Add the tomatoes, coriander, pao bhaji masala , salt, green chillies, mix everything well and cook it till the tomatoes are absolutely soft
- Add water and again mix everything very well
Add rice, coriander leaves, salt to the mixture and mix everything well and it is ready to serve hot with mix vegetable raita or simple plain yogurt.