One of my favorite dessert, Shrikhand is very popular Indian dessert famous in Maharashtra and Gujarat. Shrikhand is easily available in the market but can be made at home easily with simple ingredients. It is made from hung curd and sugar and can be made in varieties of flavors .
Kesar, Elaichi and Pista Shrikhand is my favorite. Shrikhand with puri is a great combo, but you can have it without puri. So here is the recipe of Shrikhand.
- 2 cups curd/Yogurt (For better results make sure you use thick curd )
- 3/4 cup to 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp saffron/kesar
- 1/2 tsp cardamom (elaichi)powder
- 10-15 pistachios chopped
- 3-4 tbsp milk
- Soak saffron in warm milk
- Hung curd in a muslin cloth for 4-6 hours till all water drains (if you want to skip this step than use plain greek yougurt)
- Take a bowl in that add powdered sugar and the hung curd and mix well
- Add the saffron dissolved milk and mix well.
- Add 1-2 tbsp more milk if you find the hung curd is too thick
- Add 1/2 tsp cardamom powder, chopped pistachios mix all well
- Keep in the refrigerator to chill for an hour or two. Garnish with chopped pistachios and saffron strands. Serve chill.