Sevai or Vermicelli Kheer, is a traditional popular Indian dessert made up of fried vermicelli, milk and sugar. Sevai kheer is delicious and very easy to prepare. You can prepare this recipe in 30 minutes.
Sevai Kheer is prepared in many ways and I will sharing the method I like and my mother cooks it the same way. So lets start with the recipe
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup sevai or vermicelli roasted and broken
- 7 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom powder (elaichi)
- About 10-12 saffron strands
- 2 tablespoon of sliced or crushed almonds
- 2 tablespoon of sliced or crushed pistachios
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- In a non stick pan, dry roast the sevai or vermicelli for about two minutes on medium low heat, stirring continuously.
- Add the milk and increase the heat to medium high. After milk comes to boil reduce the heat to medium. Let the milk boil for 20 minutes until the milk is creamy and reduced to almost half. Stir often to ensure the milk does not burn in the bottom of the pan, and also keep scrapping the sides of the pan.
- Add sugar, saffron, cardamom powder, almonds, pistachios and raisins. Let the Sevai kheer cooks on simmer for more 5 to 10 minutes.
- Turn off the heat.
- Serve hot or cold as per your choice and garnish it with some almonds and pistachios.
- Enjoy the dessert. 🙂