Amritsari Kulcha, hearing its name my mouth starts watering and I am sure yours too. Its one of the famous dishes of Amritsar, Punjab ( India). Though, I have never been to Amritsar but had it in Jaipur Rajasthan (India) for the first time.
Kulchas are Indian flat breads which are similar to naans. Amritsari Kulchas are stuffed variants of regular kulchas and are filled with potatoes, onions, and certain spices. These kulchas are usually eaten with Chole or Dal.
I usually pair these Kulchas with some Pindi Chole, (the recipe of Pindi Chole will be sharing here in this post). They tastes delicious together and a side of some radish and onion salad is a must have.
So, without wasting anymore time, lets start with the ingredients and recipe of the Kulchas and Pindi Chole.
Ingredients for Kulchas
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 1 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 3-4 tsp curd
- 2 Boiled and mashed Potatoes
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 6-8 tsp oil or ghee
Ingredients of Chole
- 3 cups overnight soaked chole
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp chopped green chillies
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp dry mango (amchur) powder
- 1/2 tsp anardana powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- salt to taste
- 2 tsp oil
- 1-2 tsp carom seeds
- 1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
- 2-3 green cardamom
- 2-3 cloves
- 2-3 black pepper corns
- 1-2 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- muslin cloth
Instructions for Chole
- In a pressure cooker put the overnight soaked chole, add salt.
- Take a muslin cloth and in that cloth put cloves, black pepper corns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf and tie a knot and put it in the pressure cooker with chole.
- Cover it and cook them till 3-4 whistles.
- Now take out the chole from the pressure cooker and keep the water aside.
- In a pan put the chole, add coriander powder, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, dry mango powder, anardana powder, garam masala.
- In a small pan put oil and heat it nicely, add carom seeds, ginger, garlic and green chillies and saute it for a minute.
- Now put the oil mixture onto the chole and dried masala and put it on flame. Add the water which you have kept aside and cook it in on low flame for 15 -20 minutes.
- Now add tamarind paste to the chole and add more water as per your choice of gravy.
Instructions for Kulchas
- In a bowl add all purpose flour (maida), salt, baking powder.
- In a separate bowl take 1/2 cup lukewarm water add yeast, add sugar and keep it aside for few minutes.
- Now add the yeast mixture into the maida and prepare a dough.
- Keep the dough aside for 2 hours.
- Now take the mashed boiled potatoes, add onion, green chillies, salt, garam masala and mix it well.
- Preheat the oven on 450 degree Fahrenheit.
- After two hours, take dough and prepare some balls from the dough.
- Now flatten the roll and put potato mixture, pinch the dough together and ensure that the stuffing remains within the dough.
- Sprinkle some flour over it and roll the stuffed kulcha using a rolling pin . Flatten it out and make it the way you like elongated or round.
- Now put the Kulchas in a baking tray and put the tray in oven and cook for 10- 15 minutes, keep checking it in between.
- After 10-15 minutes Kulchas are ready .
- Smear the Kulchas with butter
- Amritsari Kulchas are ready to eat. Serve them with Pindi Chole and treat your family with delicious, mouth watering delicacy of Amritsari.
- Enjoy and share your experiences. 🙂