My husband is a huge fan of chocolate, especially chocolate cake. He always wants little piece of chocolate after his meal which is pretty much always. he is more of a dark chocolate fan rather than milk or semi sweet chocolate.
So it was our anniversary and wanted to bake a cake for him. I baked Chocolate truffle cake for him which he loves and can have it anytime.
Let me tell me you though, this Chocolate Truffle Cake will satisfy any chocolate lovers craving. This cake is so dense and so moist, and the frosting is heaven.
I kept the decoration on this cake simple and classic, just like a chocolate truffle. I like simple and elegant, I just sprinkled some chocolate sprinklers on the cake and simple textured dollops of chocolate frosting on top to finish off this pretty Chocolate Truffle Cake.
For the Chocolate Cake:
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder(2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk ( room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup hot water
For the Chocolate Frosting:
- 2.25 cups of dark or semi -sweet chocolate ( I have used dark chocolate) (finely chopped)
- 2 cups of heavy cream
- 1 cup of unsalted butter
For the assembly:
- 1 cup chocolate sprinklers
- Large star piping tip
Make the Chocolate Frosting in Advance
- Placed chopped chocolate into a large heatproof bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, combine heavy cream and butte. Cook on medium high, stirring often, until just simmering.
- Pour hot cream over chopped chocolate and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir gently for 5 minutes.
- Place plastic wrap directly on top of chocolate. Allow to thicken and set overnight.
Make the Chocolate Cake
- Preheat the oven at 350 Fahrenheit or 180 Celsius. Grease two round pan dust with cocoa powder.
- Place flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt into the bowl and mix until well combined using electric hand beater or stand mixer.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Very slowly pour in hot water while whisking continuously.
- Add wet ingredients to dry mixture and mix on medium for 2 to 3 minutes. Batter will be very thin.
- Pour batter evenly into prepared pans. Bake for approximately 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out mostly clean.
- Place cakes on wire rack to cool for 10 minutes then turn out onto wire rack to cool completely.
- Once cooled, start assembling the cake
Assemble the Cake:
- Place one cake onto a cake stand or serving plate. Top with a thin layer of chocolate frosting approximately. Spread evenly.
- Repeat with 2nd cake and frosting. Crumb coat the cake. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Reserved some frosting for decorating the cake.
- Heat the frosting for 10 to 15 seconds in a microwave so it will be melted and shiny again, which will become ganache.
- Pour the ganache over the cake and smooth the sides and top. Place cake back in the fridge for 20 minutes to set.
- Sprinkle the sprinklers all over the cake and pipe the dollops of reserved chocolate frosting on the cake.
- Cake is ready to cut… 🙂 !!