Idli or Idly is a rice cake prepared in steam which is originating from the southern part of India. It is a popular breakfast recipe which is served with spicy and tangy lentil known as Sambhar and coconut chutney and with the roasted ground masala.
Idlis are soft and fluffy steamed rice cake which are made from fermented batter of lentil ( Dal) and rice.
In my family everyone is fond of idlis they can have it breakfast, lunch or dinner. They are so light, healthy and a wholesome meal and I love making them.
You can even prepare different recipes using leftover idlis like fried idli, idli chilli. ( If you guys want I will share the recipe)..😊
I will share the complete step by step of process if preparing idli batter and idli. I will also share the recipe of Sambhar and Podi Masala.
Idli batter is prepared by soaking skinned black gram ( urad Dal) and rice overnight and grinding them next day and keeping the mixture to ferment for atleast 8 to 10 hours. The key step to remember while making Idlis is the ratio of lentil and rice. It has to be 1:2. 1 cup lentil and 2 cups of rice.
Let me share the the ingredients and step by step procedure of making soft and yummy idlis at home.
- 1 cup skinned black gram or urad Dal
- 2 cup rice
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds or methi Dana
- Water for soaking
- Take two separate bowls
- In one bowl wash and soak rice with some water
- In another bowl wash and soak skinned black gram or urad Dal
- Now add fenugreek seeds or methi Dana to the soaked urad Dal.
- Soak both the Dal and rice overnight or for atleast 6 to 8 hours.
- Once soaked overnight or for 6 to 8 hours, grind both of them separately.
- Now mix them together and keep it in a warm place for 8 to 10 hours for fermentation.
- This is a very important step for nice, soft and fluffy idlis.
- Now take idli maker (you can buy it from Amazon).
- Grease the idli mould with little oil.
- Now pour the idli batter into the idli mould, cook the idlis in steam for 15 minutes or you can check with knife by inserting it in centre of the idlis if the knife comes out clean Idlis are ready.
- Serve hot with sambhar and coconut chutney and podi masala.
Ingredients for Sambhar:
- 2 cups Tuvar dal (pigeon peas)
- 1 teaspoon Haldi (Turmeric powder)
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 cup Chopped Lauki (bottle gourd)
- 1/2 cup Chopped Zucchini
- 1/2 cup Chopped Carrots
- 1/2 cup drum sticks
- 1 medium Chopped tomato
- 2 tablespoon Gur or Jaggery
- 3 tablespoon Tamarind juice
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon Oil to cook veggies
- 2 tablespoon Sambhar Powder (Market bought)
- 2 cups of Water added to sambar
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds
- 3/4 teaspoon Methi dana (Fenugreek seeds)
- 2 teaspoon Skinned and split urad dal
- 1 teaspoon Cumin seed
- A pinch of Hing (asofetadia)
- 8-10 pieces of Curry leaves
- 4-5 pieces of Whole Red chillies
- 2 – 3 tablespoon Oil
- Assemble ingredients to boil dal.
- Clean and wash dal
- Transfer dal to a pressure cooker, add salt, drum sticks and turmeric powder. Cover and pressure cook for 2-3 whistles.
- Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid, dal all done and cooked.
- Whisk the dal. Set it aside.
- Soak tamarind in warm water for 15-20 minutes. Use spoon to mash up the lumps. Strain and set it aside.
- Wash and assemble veggies for dal.
- Chop them
- Heat oil in a pan, add carrots and cook for 1 minute.
- Toss in onion, tomato, zucchini and lauki.
- Cover and cook for 3-4 minutes or until veggies are soft and tender. Add jaggery and mix it well.
- Add tamarind water tAssemble ingredients for tempering..o the cooked veggies.
- Mix in Sambar powder.
- Add dal and mix until blended.
- Now for tempering the dal
- Assemble ingredients for tempering..
- Heat oil in a pan. Add all the ingredients one by one.
- As they star to sputter, add curry leaves..
- And pour this tadka to the boiling dal
- Mix and allow it to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and Serve hot with idlis.
Ingredients for Podi Masala:
- ¼ cup sesame seeds / til
- 3 tsp oil sesame oil / coconut oil / vegetable oil
- 15-20 kashmiri red chilli / lal mirch
- handful curry leaves / kadi patta
- ¼ cup chana dal
- ½ cup urad dal
- ½ tsp turmeric powder / haldi
- ½ tsp asafoetida / hing
- salt to taste
1 tsp ghee / clarified butter or sesame oil or gingerly oil or coconut oil
Firstly, in a heavy bottomed pan add sesame seeds and dry roast till they turn golden brown.
further, add 2 tsp oil and fry dried red chilli till they puff up.
also add few curry leaves and continue to sauté till they turn crisp.
keep aside and allow to cool.
furthermore, add a tsp more oil and saute chana dal and urad dal till they turn golden brown.
Transfer to a blender and blend to coarse powder.