As you guys know how obsessed I am with Panner (Indian Cottage Cheese). I just love paneer. Paneer Tikka is one of my family’s favorite snack to order whenever we go out to eat. They all love it so much and so does me…:-D
Panner Tikka is basically paneer cubes marinated in a yogurt based spicy mixture with onions and bell peppers than arranged on skewers and grill or bake in oven. Traditionally in restaurants they are made in tandoor but you can make it in oven or stove top.
Recently I tried to make Paneer Tikka at home though I was not sure how it will turn but I am glad it turned really tasty. This recipe has a key ingredient which is mustard oil so please don’t skip using mustard oil. So here I am sharing my recipe of Paneer Tikka with you all. Guys please do try this out and I am sure you will love it.
For Paneer Tikka
- 7 oz or 200 grams Paneer cut into 1 inch cubes
- ⅓ cup Capsicum (Green bell pepper) cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup Red pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup Yellow pepper cut into 1 inch pieces
- ⅓ cup Onion cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 tablespoon oil for brushing
- 1 cup Plain yogurt (dahi or curd) once you hang it and let the water drain out it will gives ½ cup thick hung yogurt
- 1 ½ teaspoon Red chili powder for brighter red color use kashmiri chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coriander powder
- a pinch of turmeric powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam masala
- 1 teaspoon Chaat masala
- 1 teaspoon Kasoori methi (Dried fenugreek leaves)
- Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Ginger paste or freshly grated or crushed
- 1 teaspoon Garlic paste or freshly grated
- 1 ½ teaspoons Lemon juice
- 2-3 tablespoons Mustard Oil
Take yogurt in muslin cloth or man’s handkerchief, put it in the strainer and keep a bowl or jug under it to collect excess water.
Keep this in the fridge for about an hour and let all the water drain out.
You will left with thick, hung curd or yogurt in the cloth.
1 cup of yogurt will give ½ cup of thick yogurt.
Take thick or hung curd in a bowl.
Add all the spice powders along with salt. Mix it well.
Add ginger paste and garlic paste.
Add lemon juice and oil and mix well.
Cut veggies into 1 inch pieces and cube the paneer. Make sure that size of veggie and paneer pieces are same.
Add it to the prepared marinade.
using your clean hand, gently mix. All the pieces should be coated with marinade.
Cover it with plate or plastic wrap and let paneer and veggies marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours. More the better.
Making paneer tikka recipe:
If you are using wooden skewers like me then submerge in the water for 10-15 minutes before using. At the time of using, wipe them using towel or paper napkin.
If using metal skewers, no need to soak.
Arrange the veggies and paneer on the skewer or toothpick.
order does not matter, but keep each veggie pieces between two paneer pieces.
Make in the oven:
Pre-heat the oven to 350 degree F or 180 degree C for at least 10 minutes.
Line a baking tray with aluminum foil. It is optional but I like to do it for easy cleaning later on. Grease the foil or tray with oil or spray it with nonstick cooking spray thus tikka will not stick.
Brush the generous amount of oil on all sides of tikka.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for 10-12 minutes. remove it, flip it and again brush with oil.
Again bake it for 10-12 minutes.
Make on stove top:
Brush the tikka with oil from all the sides.
Heat the non stick tawa on medium heat. Once hot place the skewer on the tawa, shallow fry them.
Turn it and cook all the sides till it is golden brown about 2-3 minutes
Note: Serve with mint and coriander chutney..!!