What can be more good than homemade bread. 🙂 Pav are very popular in Maharashtra. It is very soft bread which is served with many dishes like pav bhaji, dabeli, Missal pao and they are really easy to make.! My family enjoys the most these pav with Pav bhaji a blend of vegetables. I will share the recipe with you guys, so do try them out.
- Milk – 100ml
- Yeast – 1 Tsp
- Sugar – ½ Tbsp
- Maida / Plain Flour – 125g / 1 Cup
- Salt – ½ Tsp
- Milk Powder – 1 Tbsp / 9gms
- Butter – 10 gms / 2 tsps
- Milk & Butter – For Brushing
- To the warm milk, add the sugar and the yeast. Stir and keep aside to proof for 10 mins.
- In your working platform place the flour, salt and the milk powder. Mix and make a well in center.
- Add the proofed yeast mixture, which would have been frothy so far. Get your hands in and form this into a soft-pasty kind of dough. If the mixture does not turn out to be soft and sticky consistency, add more milk to it and make it sticky and soft.
- Add in the butter and start kneading it. Knead this by pushing the dough with heel of your palm.. This is going to be very sticky and kind of paste like, but this is how it is supposed to be. Just keep kneading and scraping once in a while for 15 minutes.
- After about 15 mins of kneading, this will come together and would be more like a dough than a sticky pasty mass.
- Place this into a bowl with a lil bit of oil, coat the dough and the bowl with the oil, cover with a damp cloth and let it proof for 1 hour or until doubled in a warm spot.
- Once doubled in volume, punch and take the dough out, sprinkle a bit of flour and knead for a minute.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal portions. My dough weighed 245 grams. And I portioned about 40gms each.
- Smooth-en out each portion by rolling them between your palm and fingers. Place the shaped portions in a 6″ square cake tin. You can make in a round one as well.
- Cover the cake tin with a cloth and let the pavs proof for another hour or until well risen.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Now bake them in a preheated oven for 12- 15 minutes, check after 12 minutes if lightly brown than broil it for few seconds monitoring closely.
- Take them out once they’re baked well.. Brush the tops with butter. Now take a damp cloth and cover the tin for a minimum of 30 minutes.
- Using a knife, loosen the sides and carefully take the pavs out..
- Fresh homemade Pavs are ready to enjoy..!!
Do try it out guys and share your experience.!