Kadhai Paneer is a mixture of Paneer(Indian CottageCheese) with mixed bell peppers and mixtures of spices. The main ingredients or spices in this curry which makes it so flavorful is roasted and freshly grounded coriander seeds and red chilliies. It is good dish to prepare when you have guests coming over. You can have it with some naans, roti or any kind of flat bread.
Do try it out and let me know how it turned out for you guys.!!
For preparing Masala
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 dried red chilies
- 4 green cardamom
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 3 cloves
For the Kadhai Paneer
- 1 tbspoon butter, unsalted
- 2 tbspoon oil,
- 1 medium red onion, 150 grams, finely chopped
- 1 green chili, sliced
- 2 tspoons ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 medium tomatoes, 450 grams, finely chopped
- 1 tbspoon tomato paste, optional
- 1/4 tspoon garam masala
- 3/4 tspoon kashmiri red chili powder
- 1 inch ginger, julienned, divided
- 1/2 cup water, 4 oz/120 ml
- salt to taste
- 1 cup mixed bell pepper cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 cup paneer, cubed
- 1 teaspoon kasuri methi, dried fenugreek leaves
- cilantro, to garnish
For preparing Masala
- To a small pan, dry roast the spices for masala for 3 to 4 minutes on medium heat until fragrant.
- Remove the pan from heat and transfer the roasted spices to a spice grinder.
- Let it cool down a bit and then grind to a fine powder. Set aside.*
For making Kadhai Paneer
In a large kadai or any other pan, now melt butter with oil on medium heat.
Add the chopped onion and saute for 3 minutes until softened. Then add the sliced green chili and ginger garlic paste and saute for another 1 to 2 minutes.
Then add the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste. Mix and cook for around 6 minutes until tomatoes are really soft.
Then add 3 to 4 teaspoons of the kadai masala that you prepared earlier (or add the whole thing if you like it spicy). Also add the garam masala, kashmiri red chili powder.
Add half of the ginger julienne. Stir the spices and cook for 30 seconds.
Then add 1/2 cup water and stir.
Add salt and mix. Cook for one minute.
Now take another pan add 1 tablespoon of oil and let it heat. Once heated, add in the paneer and bell peppers (capsicum) and cook it for a minute and now add the masala and cook for another minute.
Crush kasuri methi and add to the pan.Now mix the paneer and bell peppers mixture in the onion tomato gravy and cook for few minute. Here you can add some water and cook it. Once it is read,
Garnish with remaining ginger julienne and cilantro. Serve kadai paneer with naan or paratha.
- You can prepare the masala and store in an air tight container.